Fried Rice Tips Uncle Roger Would Approve Of
Egg fried rice is a staple in Singaporean cuisine but as Uncle Roger reminds us, other cultures around the world don’t always get it right. Learn how you can make this hawker favourite easily at home with these tips! Try the fried rice recipe below for a healthier version of this simple classic.
As we all know, it’s one part rice, two parts water. Add a pinch of salt to your boiling water if you’re cooking on the stove and leave your rice to steam for 15 minutes. Or better yet, use a rice cooker! Leave it to cool in the fridge overnight for better texture for your fried rice.
Crack your eggs into a bowl and beat them together with a teaspoon of sesame oil for added flavour. Once you’ve tossed in your rice and any other vegetables like peas or carrots, pour in your eggs and stir until they’re cooked through.
Chop your spring onion finely and add to your stir-fry along with some soy sauce for added aroma. You can also use it as garnish at the end for extra crunch.
Put a spin on your fried rice by adding a personal touch. Throw in some cheese or teriyaki sauce for a unique blend of flavours. You can also experiment with various chilli pastes to get your own spicy kick by using a tablespoon of mala paste or sambal chilli paste.
Nourish your love of cooking with our array of food courses such as whipping up Hakka Delights - Abacus Seeds (Blended).
Check out a curated collection of Lifestyle & Leisure courses available in our Course Directory.
EGG FRIED RICE RECIPE
- 1 cup of brown rice (150g)
- ¾ rice cup of water (135ml)
- 3 eggs (55g each)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbs cooking oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tbs fish sauce
- 1 tbs light soya sauce
- Dash of ground white pepper
- 20g spring onion, diagonally sliced
- 10g fried ikan bilis (optional)
- Place the washed rice and 135ml of water into the rice cooker to cook. Once the rice is cooked, set aside.
- In a bowl, crack the eggs. Add the salt and sesame oil. Beat well and set aside.
- Heat the cooking oil in a frying pan or wok over high heat.
- Add the garlic and stir-fry for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the beaten eggs and stir briefly for 15 seconds. Add the cooked rice. Stir-fry for 45 seconds to mix the egg with the rice.
- Season with fish sauce and light soya sauce.
- Add white pepper and continue stir-frying for three minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add the spring onion. Toss briefly and transfer onto serving plate.
- Garnish with the fried ikan bilis before serving.
Source: The Straits Timeshttps://www.mgs-wanted.sg/articles/hobbies/fried-rice-tips-uncle-roger-would-approve-of